BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, May 18, 2009

The Importance of Setting Goals

Setting goals for myself is a big part of who I am. Really! A couple of years ago, my mother found a list of goals I made for myself when I was 10, and surprisingly enough, I have already met several of them. There were big ones like, be the first female president, write a book, etc. Sorry, 10-year-old self, I haven't made it there yet. But there were others too. When my mom read me the list, I had recently met a critical one: to graduate college. It was ironic and poignant that she would find that scrap of paper just as I was accomplishing something big. It really made me reflect on how far I had come in my life. Thus, as the title of this post says, it was important for my adult self that my kid self wrote out those grandiose goals way back when.

Even though I still have huge life goals, the ones I make everyday simply help me get through the day. For example, one goal I found myself making today involved this inner dialogue: "I will put away the laundry when The Real Housewives of New York Reunion Special goes to commercial." Not quite as grand as my 10-year-old self imagined, but a critical and important goal nonetheless for the adult me.

-N

0 comments: