BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Why I Hate Chick Flicks

Before you jump down my throat, hear me out. Not all "chick flicks" are bad....just most of them. Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love classic chick flicks like Pretty Woman, Dirty Dancing, and Thelma and Louise. But for every classic I love, there are 25 shitty ones I despise.


Unlike most women, Matthew McConaughey does absolutely nothing for me. Not only is he dirty looking, he plays the same character in each of his cookie-cutter chick flicks. Amistad was amazing, but Failure to Launch was ridiculous. Don't even get me started on Matt's chick flick cohort, Kate Hudson! Why are women attracted to this ditz? Is the ideal woman/girlfriend/wife we are trying to be? Lord knows, I'm certainly not.

The chick flick I want to see is one that empowers women. One that says, having a man is great, but you don't need one to complete you. I don't need to see a woman always in a moment of desperation because of what a man does or says. Fuck that. I don't need to watch a movie to show a woman acting crazy to get a man, all I need to do is tune in to the latest "Rock of Love" season.

Note to Hollywood: some women aren't crazy, desperate, or just plain airheaded (well...at least not all the time!). Please make more movies that don't fit in that box, because poor Kate Winslet can't carry the torch forever.

0 comments: